One of the advantages of having a Chromecast as a streaming device is that it is portable.
You can take your Chromecast anywhere and connect it to any TV, but as we know Chromecast works on wifi technology, it needs to connect to the same network as the TV, so we just have to change the wifi network of the Chromecast as it can only connect to one network at a time.
So we are here to guide you through the process of changing WiFi on Chromecast.
Table of Contents
Switching The WiFi Network on Chromecast
Switching the WiFi network on your Chromecast is quite easy as your existing network is active.
How to connect Chromecast to new wifi just follow these steps
- Power on your Chromecast device.
- Open the Google Home app on the phone.
- Select the three-bar menu icon present at the top left corner of the screen.
- Tap on “Devices” from the menu.
- Tap on the three-dot menu icon present at the top right corner of the screen.
- Select “Settings” from the menu.
- Select the WiFi option.
- Tap on the network name, and from the drop-down menu select the wifi network you want to switch on to.
- Enter the password of the network and tap on OK.
Changing WiFi Network on Chromecast Using Google Home App
To change the wifi network of Chromecast you first need to forget the previous wifi network and set up the device again because your device can connect to only one network at a time.
Follow these steps to forget your previous wifi network
- Plug your Chromecast device into the HDMI port of the TV with USB.
- Download the Google Home app on your mobile phone and install it, you will find the Google Home app on the Play Store or App Store depending on which phone you are using.
- Connect your phone to the same network.
- Open the Google Home app and select your Chromecast device from the list of devices.
- Go to device settings, it will be present at the top right corner of the screen and have a gear-like icon.
- Select the Wifi option from the settings.
- Now click on “ Forget this Network”, it will be a red color bar.
Now the Chromecast connected to the old wifi has forgotten the old wifi network, to connect it to the new network you have to set up the device again and connect it to the new wifi network.
Changing Network By Resetting Chromecast Manually
If your WiFi will not change using the above two methods then resetting it manually is the best option.
- Plug the Chromecast into the TV and connect it to an adapter for the power supply.
- Hold down the reset button of the Chromecast for some seconds, it is present next to the USB port.
- A light will be flashing on the Chromecast while you hold the reset button, release the reset button when the light stops flashing.
- Now, your Chromecast will reset, and the settings will restore to the default ones.
- Again set up your Chromecast like you did the first time and connect it to the new WiFi network while setting up.
How To Change WiFi On Chromecast [FAQs]
Q1: How to change the WiFi network of Chromecast without the Google Home app?
You can easily change the WiFi of Chromecast without the Google Home app by factory resetting it manually.
Q2: How to Relink Chromecast?
Reboot the Chromecast then again set it up to link it with a new network.
Q3: Why Google Home app can not find my Chromecast?
Check that the Chromecast device and your phone are on the same WiFi network, and to check click on “Settings” on the home screen then select “WiFi”, you will get to know about the network.